[Verse-dev] using material node for audio

Peter Lundén plu at tii.se
Thu Apr 28 15:34:05 CEST 2005

Emil Brink wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:56:19 +0200 (CEST)
>"Eskil Steenberg" <eskil at obsession.se> wrote:
>
>Heya. Great to see these issues being discussed, once again ...
>
>[...]
>

>>>You should at least try to understand what im saying, I'm taking
>>>about that in the geometry fragmet there is a thing call layer_r, my
>>>idea was to use that to point to a layer in the current geometry
>>>node containing the data array.
>>>

>>there isnt a "layer_r" unless you shoose to create it, "layer_r" is
>>just a name, why not name it what ever you want, how about "audio" or
>>"reflectancy".
>>

>From verse.h:
>
>typedef union {
>	[snip]
>	struct {
>		char layer_r[16];
>		char layer_g[16];
>		char layer_b[16];
>	} geometry;
>	[snip]
>} VMatFrag;
>
>I think this is what Peter was referring to. I'm not sure though, I'll
>leave this debate to you guys. His idea to use these three pointers to
>point at audio-specific layers seems totally right to me, together with
>the idea to use several material trees for to achieve the required
>number of bands/channels. I guess he didn't feel that was very pleasant
>to work with, though.

Exactly what I was referring to, but now I found a problem with this
hack, the layer would be associated to an object and not to the material
as I would like. So now Im thinking of using the texture fragment
instead, that would solve this problem. I know this is not the ultimate
solution but it is a workable hack. The idea is to have all coefficient
for one property in a single fragment graph.

As Lauri point out there are a number of possible representations of
acoustic properties of materials and that there is one such
representation that is used today for which you can get messured data of
different materials. This representation is coefficients in a number of
frequency bands and this is the form of data we have to live with for a
long time i guess.

I dont think its the right way to use a complex graph structure when the
data you have is inheritly an simple array of numbers and its in this
form you will process the data. It would be extreamly clumpsy and stupid
to have 96 copies of the same fragment graph, the only thing that will
differ is the numerical data at the leafs, and you have no use of the
graph structure itself, it is just a awkward way to store the array of
numbers.

As I interpret it, fragments are a way to represent micro geometry, this
is something we would not need in the audio domain at least for a very
long time. It would be possible in theory to have micro geometry but
there are no one, at least to my knowledge that is using that in any way
for audio purpouses nor is there any known algorithms that can be
applyed (please Lauri rigth me if im wrong). We are more intressted in
simplifying the geometry rather the make it more complex. So the use of
fragment graphs is not very intressting for audio, we just need a simple
way to store our material data that is inherently an array of numbers.

If you think fragment also should be used to describe acoustic
properties of materials there has to be some opening to make this
possible or we need to make some workable hack to squeez in what we
need. One such solution would be to have an unlimited number (but
finite)  of channels in fragement. Then we can have a meaningful use of
a fragment graph.

--PLu