[Verse-dev] Building Verse on Win32 (gcc)

TJay tjay.dreaming at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:17:21 CEST 2005

I'll try getting R5, as soon as I install a cd burner onto my dad's
pc, or get a LAN going. Right now his pc is the only one with internet
access, and I can't move anything from his pc to mine, where I do all
this programming stuff... x_x Hopefully I'll get it done within these
2 days, so I can get on with the fun stuff ;)

> > TJay <tjay.dreaming at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>(Sorry about that Kaos. Accidentally sent the reply directly to your email..)
> >

> > Thanks to Kaos for assisting TJay with this, it's very encouraging for
> > me to see other people stepping up and actually having experience
> > with the Verse codebase.
>
> Np :)

Thanks to Kaos and Emil and Eskil and Florian too ;)

> > I'm sorry about the problems TJay, I will look into it in more detail
> > tomorrow (was kind of mentally stuck in a different problem today,
> > but at least got Cygwin installed on my Win box at work).
> >

> >>Any functions which I use in my app are "undefined". I only link with
> >>verse, so I don't think there's any re-ordering that I can do.
>
> Well, when you link in libverse.a, you'll also need to provide the libs
> that verse is dependent upon, like SDL etc.

Verse is dependent upon SDL? Surely you mean Loq Airou? In any case
I'll try it ;)

> > Sounds reasonable. If you were extreme, you could use strace on the
> > linking phase to see if it finds and loads your libverse.a correctly.

Ah... I don't know how to do that. I didn't go through any Computer
Science courses, so all the stuff I know are the stuff I came across
while doing my own reading. Will have to learn how to use those tools
someday though... x_x

> >>I tried compiling loq and enough. Had some weird stuff with types
> >>being defined in both "st_types.h" and "verse.h". Hacked around a bit.
> >>Then got another bunch of weird stuff. Couldn't manage to hack all of
> >>them away... I didn't use your .dev files though. Will try them
> >>tomorrow, when my headache has subsided x_x
>
> Yes, I needed to tweak the sources quite a bit, but it was a few months ago,
> so I'm not sure what it was, but it felt mainly like updates that wasn't
> propagated to all sources.. so it is possible to do even for a newbie (like me).

I shall wait till I get R5 ;p

> > Again, I'm sorry our stuff is giving you a headache. But very glad
> > to see you keeping at it. :D
> >

> >>Maybe the versions don't tally. I'm using the stuff that's been
> >>officially released. Verse release 4 patch 1. No idea about Loq and
> >>the others.
> >

> > Aha. I recommend switching to the (unreleased) R5 version, by
> > checking out the release-r5-branch from CVS. That's where all the
> > work is going on at the moment, so it's best to use that. I think
> > it's in an okay state today.
>
> Ah, nice info. Noticed they were there, but haven't made the switch, since I'm
> not currently using verse in any application..
>
> Might check into my sources to see what I did for changes tomorrow if there's any
> interest left in that branch.. ?
>
> //K
>

> > One of "our" developers at KTH, Camilla, said on irc that she had
> > no problems compiling the R5 branch using Cygwin, earlier today.
> >
> > Of course she might be biased, heh, but then again she does most of
> > her main development work in Mac OS X and just re-tested on Win32
> > because I asked her. :)
> >
> > Regards, and more tomorrow.
> >
> > /Emil

No hurry, I don't think I can get much done till I get my pc hooked up
with the internet x_x
And thanks to Camilla too :D

~ TJay ~