[Verse-dev] Edges in Geometry node?

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Apr 18 12:49:41 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:25:52 +0800
TJay <tjay.dreaming at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.

Hello!

> I've been reading the verse specs and looking through Loq Airou's
> source code for the past few days, but I can't figure out how Verse
> handles edges.

Cool! I should probably let Eskil answer this question, and I sure he
will, but perhaps a few quick words from me can be of use, too.

> Only Polygons and Vertices are mentioned in the spec...

Yes.

> I'm trying to write a 3d modelling/animation app, and I'd like to base
> it on verse, but i can't if I don't know how to use it! x_x

Well, what do you need? It's true that the Verse data model does not
explicitly store edges, it deals only with a vertex cloud and a bunch
of triangles and quads built from those vertices. The edges are thus
created implicitly, by the polygons. This keeps the model simple, and
lessens the burden on implementors such as yourself.

In the Verse data model, you cannot create or represent a "bare edge"
in a standard way; all edges are part of full polygons (tris or quads).

Loq Airou has vertex selection as its core selection mechanism as far
as I know; it computes which polygons (and edges) are selected by
looking through the dataset and seeing which polys use the selected
vertices. Here, Eskil can provide more detail.

If you really need edges expliticly, I guess you could store them in
application-specific layers, but that would then go outside the standard
parts of the data model, so other apps wouldn't understand that data.

Anyway, welcome as a (almost) Verse hacker, I hope the above helped...

Regards,