[Verse-dev] Connector Intro

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Nov 29 08:44:16 CET 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:41:42 +0100
Enrico Schwass <deckard73 at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> After 3 years of waiting there is now working support on my
> Laptop-3D-Chipset. (ProSavageDDR) Yeehah.

Congratulations! :D

> Loqairou runs fast enough to play with it.

Excellent.

> But ... The connector intro (swarm) runs very slow and I cant
> skip this by clicking with the mouse somewhere. Dont know why.

That's weird.

> And I often have to start connector. What I am interested in is
> a switch like
> #define NOPOWERBOOKHIGHENDSUPERCOMPUTERCRAYLIKE  :)

Yeah, that'd be handy. I've looked into it a little bit before,
but not gotten around to askil Eskil to add something. Person-
ally I would prefer a command-line switch such as --no-intro
or something, or even --host=<IP> to skip the connection dialog
completely.

I think you can gain some performance by reducing the complexity
of the intro graphics, you might want to try that until Eskil (or
someone) comes up with a better fix. I tested it out and added
a comment in CVS. Or, just look close to the top of the co_intro.c
file, you'll find these lines:

#define LOGO_RING_SPLIT		48
#define LOGO_SMALL_RING_SPLIT	48
#define CO_INIT_DUST_COUNT	2000

(spelling changed in CVS, too, if you're using anything older
it will be slightly different but the meaning and order is the
same).

Change these to 16, 16 and 1 respectively, and perhaps you will
gain some performance. Please write back if it helped. My mach-
ine is not spectacular either; if you have hardware accelerated
OpenGL you're actually ahead of me... The difference wasn't
dramatical as far as I could see, but on the other hand I can
run the intro, so perhaps it's more helpful to you.

Regards,