[Verse-dev] Some questions about specification

Emil Brink verse-dev@blender.org
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:51:12 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Thorsten Jordan wrote:

> Hello to you all,

Hello!

> i am currently developing a verse scene viewer for the PocketPC 2002 (my
> diploma thesis). I have some questions concerning the verse-spec, some
> things seem unclear to me:

Whoa! That is tremendously cool to hear! Do you have any affiliation
with the Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics?

> 1) Each object node may have links to other nodes, giving the properties
> of the object node. Can an object node link to another object node
> creating a tree hierarchy of objects? The links could work in one way
> only - like bones - linking to the parent. Is this correct?

Yes.

There is nothing stopping you from adding a "parent" link to point
back at the parent object node if so required. The Verse system as
such does not interpret the links, they are more or less free for
use by applications. There will be a standard set of link names to
use to e.g. designate the geometry for an object, but I'm not aware
of such names at this point. Perhaps Eskil can elaborate.

> 2) How do bones influence the vertices? the give a number between 0 and
> 1, but how do i use this number? Do i transform the vertex according to
> the bone and interpolate between untransformed and transformed position
> depending on the number?

That sounds very reasonable, yes, but I will not give an absolute
answer since it's not a part of the spec I actually know that much
about.

> Or how else can i limit the effect of the transformation?

I leave this to Eskil to explain, and will of course incorporate the
explanation into the spec. Thanks for pointing out the need.

> 3) The curve node is not fully defined now, right?

Right. I do think it's on Eskil's near-term agenda, but I'm not sure.

> Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your interest, and please do not hesitate to contact
the list again if any further questions come up.

Regards,

/Emil