[Verse-dev] Using <stdint.h> with Verse?

Emil Brink verse-dev@blender.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:31:15 +0100

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:20:30 +0100
<a0054403@levonline.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > > it defeats the purpose of moving away form G-lib.
> >
> > I disagree; a third-party library and a modern compiler are not the
> > same kind of dependency at all.
>
> True, but we must be sure that it truly is in the standard lib, it is
> not enough to say that it is there according to C99. It needs to be
> accepted by all compilers. If it isn't, it still is a outside lib on
> some platforms.

Of course.

It is not "a lib" issue at all, these are all pure header file things.

As I said, it's in gcc, so Linux and the various BSDs and other
platforms where gcc is the standard compiler should have a working
<stdint.h> today (at least for recent enough versions of gcc, but I
think that is not a totally insane requirement to have).

I don't know if it's in Windows, but this should be easy enough to check
for anyone with an installation of MSVC++ (I assume MSVC+ is the default
compiler in Windows environments). Anyone on the list care to comment?

It seems to exist in Darwin, at least if the Blender web server is typi-
cal (it's the only Mac OS X machine I have access to). Comments from Mac
OS X developers are welcome here, of course.

I feel that if Linux/*BSD, Windows, and Mac OS X all work, then it's
worth doing, since any remaining platforms are marginal in size and it
makes sense to treat them differently if it buys use of standard C on
other platforms. Again, comments from users of platforms where
<stdint.h> is something exotic would be very useful.

/Emil