[Verse-dev] re: timeouts

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Wed Dec 1 11:48:19 CET 2004

Hi

>Eskil has done testing with faster logging mechanisms for limited/debug
>use, but those aren't generally available I think.

Have I? Oh  yes i did some performance messiurements some time ago where i
had to work around printfs slowness, but in general i dont think there is
a solution. The time out is going to get longer in R5 when we fix the
dissconect issiues, But i dont think there is a solution for this, The
print outs are slow, and the only way to make them quicker is to remove
stuff and i dont think its worth it.

My advice is to only use verse print outs to get the general idea if your
stuff gets sent and what happens when you subscribe to something, and if
you get back what you sent. If you want to studdy some thing more in
particular you may want to add your own printouts.

Humm it just accures to me we could divide the print outs in to:

#define V_PRINT_SEND_COMMANDS_STRUCTURE
#define V_PRINT_RECEIVE_COMMANDS_STRUCTURE

and:

#define V_PRINT_SEND_COMMANDS_DATA
#define V_PRINT_RECEIVE_COMMANDS_DATA

Then we could only print out, vertex, poly, tile, sample and text comands
if the later is set. This would enable you to turn on the structure print
out and get nodes and layers and such without geting printouts for the
bulk of the data.

Good Idea, or just complicated?