[Uni-verse] Pre-review meeting in Brussels

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Fri Jun 15 15:36:17 CEST 2007

Dear Gert,

I discussed about the acoustic demonstration with Ludde and Peter on
Tuesday. We concluded that we will run the demo Ludde has now in his
laptop consisting of UVAS, sound renderer, Verse server and
Connector. In addition, we would like to run some other rendering
client, either Quel Solaar or OSG renderer, but at the moment both of
them have problems, and it seems that they are not suitable for
navigation. With OSG renderer the problem is related to that it
"steals" the first object in the world, and if that happens to be the
listener, then the demo is quite quiet. Ludde is able to tell in more
detail of these problems, but as far as I understood Quel Solaar is
difficult to start, and typically it won't run at all in any of the
configurations Ludde has. Now I would like to: Is someone working to
remedy these problems with renderers?

I am sorry to say, but I think it is unlikely that the reducer will be
presented together with UVAS. On one hand to get the reducer to work
with the testscene a major rework of the system is required. On the
other hand to get UVAS to work with larger scenes better suited for
reducer a remarkable performance gain in UVAS is required. The main
problem here is that the beam-tracing (UVAS) works best with several
small rooms and corridos whereas reduction is at is best with one big
hall. So far we haven't been able to fit these constraints together,
and have a demo with both of the tools at the same time :-(.

For the review, we planned to run the system on two laptops, and the
renderer on a third one (?).

Ludde and Peter, could you please correct me, if I didn't remember
correctly what we discussed!

Regards,
	Lauri

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Gert Svensson wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> as Ton suggests we should plan the demos.
> A demo is more fun than a slide show.
> However we don't have much time to setup things so the demos should
> be simple to setup.
>
> One session should be to directed towards geometric collaboration:
>
> Loq Airou, Blender, 3DS manipulating some nice model while viewing with
> OSGrenderer and Quel Soolar
>
> Necro demo moving around objects like planets.
>
> Painting with GIMP on some model while looking on the model with the
> rendering clients.
>
> Another session should be the architectural demo including acoustics.
>
> As you may know we are making a video of this in case things fail in
> Brussels but in principle we should be able to run
> some part life as well. Suggestion are welcome!
>
> The reduction hasn't yet been able to run in conjunction with UVAS but I
> know Ludde is working on this.
> It would be nice to show that.
>
> Is it possible to demo the alternative server? Could the architectural
> demo use this server?
>
> Please comment!
>
> Best Regards
> Gert
>

> Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What do you know what we can do? Is there a room where we will setup
> > demos, or is it only slide presentations?
> >
> > About slides; shall we share a common template?
> >
> > -Ton-
> >
> > On 11 Jun, 2007, at 17:11, Gert Svensson wrote:
> >

> >> Dear Friends,
> >>
> >> I think we need some discussing and training before the actual review.
> >> The most simple way to do that would be to meet in Brussels the day
> >> before.
> >> Is that possible for all partners and what time on Thursday the 28 June
> >> can we meet?
> >>
> >> Please respond as soon as possible and also tell me who is going to
> >> Brussels from you
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >> Gert

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 TKK, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014