[Uni-verse] Plans for Wiki

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Oct 9 12:02:28 CEST 2006

Hello.

As was discussed during last week's meeting, I've been looking into
getting our documentations Wiki:ized, at blender.org.

So far, I've come up with a page structure plan outlined below. I intend
that each section or page about an official Uni-Verse deliverable should be
clearly marked as such, and that we of course also include a special page
collecting them all, linking the documentation for the deliverables (when
they are software) together.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to include things that are *not* official
Uni-Verse deliverables ... It helps, since it further collects things and
makes them visible, but it's no good if it duplicates things that are al-
ready documented elsewhere. On the other hand, *moving* docs into the Wiki
is the plan, so guess we want other sources of documentation to go away,
over time (when it makes sense).

The outline:

Uni-Verse Documentation Front Page
  - Introduction, Partners, News (?), ...
  - Subsections (the pages below)
  - Links

Verse Core
  - Overview
  - Reference Server
  - The API
  - Links (homepage, spec, etc)

Applications
  - Simple Renderer
  - Connector
  - Quel Solaar
  - Loq Airou
  - Layer Painter
  - UV Editor
  - VML loader/saver
  - Purple
  - Alternative Server
  - UVAS

Tools
  - pngload

Application Support
  - 3ds max (is it named?)
  - Maya ("Yaxche")
  - The GIMP
  - Blender (duh)
  - Python Bindings

Bindings/Language Support
  - C++: Ample
  - Python: PyVerse
  - Java: The Java/Verse project (perhaps not yet official?)

Here, there are four main categories or sections, with subsections as
marked. Most subsections are likely going to be full pages of their own,
of course, while some were mentioned just to show they're being included.

I do not volunteer to get all the existing documentation converted, although
initial talks indicates it might be a task of interest to Blender community
members. I will convert the simple renderer's docs into Wiki format, aiming
to make it the single source of documentation for it. I do not intend to
convert or more either the Verse spec(s), or the Purple user guide.

Any comments, or additions? If nobody objects too violently, I will try and
go ahead and start creating the above, as soon as I can.

Regards,

/Emil