[Uni-verse] Re: Audio demo situation?

Mattias Claesson slas at pdc.kth.se
Thu Nov 9 12:59:39 CET 2006

> This model is now in the hands of Mattias who will import it to Verse.
> Mattias: Please do this ASAP.

I'm working on that. I have fixed some problems but apparently there are more.
The problem right now is that it takes to long to process the scene when

The model has ~67000 polygons and ~470 objects. I think the reducer should be
able to remove most of the polygons, though, since almost all of them are
located within a couple of smaller objects, like plants and lamps. The house
is 31 x 24 x 12 meters, consisting of a large auditorium and some small rooms
with furniture and stuff.

>> Have you checked the model submitted by Gergő last nite?
>>
>> what do you think of it?
>>
>> what should be changed?

>From a demo point of view, I think the rooms must be broken down to smaller
objects, so that we can change materials on them separately. The floor in each
room should probably be a different object from the walls, for instance. The
current materials seems to all be the same visually, by the way, so I guess
you haven't worked on those yet. The material names look ok, though. We just
have to make audio versions of the new ones for the database. The fact that
all the objects have similar names isn't a problem for the plugin anymore,
it'll rename them with uniqe names. If we need to work with the model in other
tools it might be cumbersome not to have desriptive names, but I don't know
if that will be necessary. Light sources must be added to the model also. I
don't know what the performance impacts are on the different renderers when
adding a lot of light sources to the model. I guess -+ needs to know how many
they can play with.

Those are my thoughts so far. I'll let you know a soon as I have been able to
make a VML version of the model.

Mattias