[Uni-verse] Cooperation with EU-Project VIPA

Marcus Hoffmann Marcus.Hoffmann at igd.fraunhofer.de
Mon May 8 16:02:33 CEST 2006

Hi all,

One of the partners of the EU-Project VIPA (http://www.vipa.adm.at/)
contacted me refering to the Uni-Verse project. The project partners of this
project are very interested in using our Uni-Verse system (server, some of
the clients/tools, especially Blender and Max Plugin) for the development
and visualization within their project. They asked for a possible
cooperation with Uni-Verse.

As far as I understood the goal of the VIPA project is about establishing
virtual campus for european universities including an E-Learning
environments. One part of the project is the visualization of the campus
facilities. I provided them with information about the Verse and
visualization part as well as the audio simulation. I pointed out the Open
Source character of the project.

I mentioned the architectural demo. They are very interested to see that
demonstrator, because it exactly shows their use case of visualizing
building facilitys using dynamic data sets. They are especially interested
in the Blender and 3D Studio MAX Plugins, because these are the programs
they want to use in their test and demo scenario. Purple seems to be of
interest for them too, but at the moment I don't have enough information on
their exact plans.

I think this is a very good opportunity to boost our exploitation and
dissemination activities especially looking at the comments of the project
officer and the reviewers concerning the projects exploitation and
dissmination and - in the reviewers eyes - the missing of serious use cases
and focus of the Uni-Verse project. The European Commission seems to like
the case that different funded projects can complement each other.

I talked already to Gert. I will keep the contact alive and give them any
information needed. But I would have to forward the special questions (e.g.
about the max, blender plugin or purple etc.) to the responsible people.
Thus, if you get mail from project partners of the VIPA project, please
answer them.

As described they currently are very interested in more detailed information
on the Blender Plugin, the 3DSMAX Plugin and Purple and what the state of
the tools is (usable versions, already completed etc).

For 3DSMAX Matthias can help me I think, Purple is addressed to Emil (right
now I will wait for more detailed questions on Purple, I think they want to
use it, but I do not now in what way and for which use case).

Ton, who is responsible for the Blender Plugin and can answer questions
regarding this topic?

Best Regards
Marcus

Marcus Hoffmann
Dipl. Ing. for Mediatechnology
Dep. Realtime Solutions for Simulation and Visual Analytics
Fraunhofer Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung
Phone: +49 (0)6151 155 - 639
Mail: marcus.hoffmann at igd.fraunhofer.de