[Uni-verse] Acoustic Material Database

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Tue Mar 28 14:25:38 CEST 2006

Emil Brink wrote:

(replying to self)

[CSV dump]
> Okay, thanks. I've been looking at this now, and am in the process of
> getting my Pyton material databasing client to parse the file.

It seems to work now, the databasing client can create materials to
match the parameters defined in the file, which I've now cleaned up
and written a simple parser for.

One interesting datapoint: there are many duplicate material names in
that file, which makes me doubt the source a little. What is the point
of assigning names (especially as long as those) if they're not unique?

Out of the 2339 lines in the file that look like they contain a valid
material, only 1471 survive after name collisions have been eliminated
(by simple hashing). This means that about 40% of the file's data is
lost, which feels a bit suboptimal. I guess I could code the material
databasing client to detect duplicates and make the names unique, but
that would not exactly make life easier for artists.

Not sure how to proceed with this now, but am hoping for a response from
Ludde or something. :)

Regards,

/Emil