[Uni-verse] possible maxbug

Mattias Claesson slas at pdc.kth.se
Tue Mar 28 13:41:28 CEST 2006

> I have developed max-plugin's before and if I recall correctly I am pretty
> sure that you have no control of how many treads and at what time max
> launches into the plugin, so I think one have to make sure the plugin is
> thread safe?

Yes. At least parts of it must be, but it's probably easier to make all of it
thread safe then to figure out what parts don't need to be. The exact parts
will probably also change in future releases, I guess.

> And the standard verse-lib is not... actually it will most likely crash when
> using several threads.
>
> It could be something to check for the developers of the plugins anyway.

The plugin guards all Verse calls (or Ample calls really) and the internal
data structures with critical sections. I should take a look at all these
again some time and see if some of them should be split for performance
reasons also.

Mattias