[Uni-verse] Acoustic Material Database

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Wed Mar 22 14:25:46 CET 2006

Hi Emil and Ludde,

I agree with both of you :-). In the long-term we should have some
more advanced format, but making a reader for a CSV is not a big
effort and with it we could get easily to test the system. Ludde, your
XML looks a nice format!

Please, find attached a CSV version of the xls-file. It contains eight
octave bands instead of 10. Emil, you can assume that the figure for
32 is the same as for 63 and for 16k the same as for 8k. This is a
crude approximation but it seems that there is no data for the extreme
bands. In the case some value is missing you should apply the same
copying principle as for 32 and 16k bands :-).

I hope this helps.

BTW, the material file contains more than 2000 entries. For an
architect it is not too convenient to select the correct one from a
list ... Maybe we should make a heavily reduced set for the demo
containing some tens of materials, or how do you feel?

Regards,
	Lauri

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Emil Brink wrote:

> Peter Lundén wrote:
> >I suggest a XML format see attached files.
>
> Sure, I guess that's a nice solution long-term, but I'm not sure if it's
> the most practical choice right now.
>
> Implementing an XML format is more work than just parsing a flat text
> file, with (say) one material per line in a comma-separated fashion. It
> will also require further external dependencies in the Python code,
> namely some XML package.
>
> Also, the question arises how to convert the existing data in the
> spreadsheet Lauri linked to, into XML?
>
> Regards,
>
> /Emil

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 TKK, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014