[Uni-verse] Editing the Wiki

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Dec 6 08:36:07 CET 2006

Hello.

In anticipation of various partners having scheduled wiki documentation of
their deliverables for December, I thought I'd try to help out a little by
writing down some guidelines.

The first thing to do is create an account on the wiki, of course. It's
been a while since I did this, but as far as I can recall, the first step is
to create an account for yourself, the second (where I need to help) is to
get that account "cleared" for editing pages.

Next, we have the issue of getting some kind of standardized "look" on the
pages. I guess I'm not in a position to provide gospel here, but a few
guidelines that I try to adhere to in the pages I've written might help:

1) *All* pages must be named with a Uni-Verse: prefix. Thus, the main page
    for the wiki is Uni-Verse:Main, the page about the simple renderer is
    Uni-Verse:Simple Renderer (which gets an underscore automatically), and
    so on.
2) Try to keep page names short, and non-hierarchical. It is nice to be able
    to remember and speak the resulting URI:s easily, which becomes harder if
    it had been Uni-Verse:Renderers-KTH-Simple or something like that ...
3) Uploaded images have names starting with Uni-Verse, but no colon. So, for
    instance the simple renderer screenshot is Uni-Verse-simple-renderer.png.
4) Start each page with "{{Template:UV/navigator}}" as the very first text.
    This uses a template to get a navigation bar at the top of the page, and
    also identifies the page as belonging to the Uni-Verse project.

I think those are the top three. Actual Wiki editing tips are easy to find
on the wiki itself (see the Help link in the top left navigation box), so
I see no point of repeating it here.

Questions are welcome, of course.

Looking forward to seeing more links on
<http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Uni-Verse:Main>