[Uni-verse] Renderer Testing

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu Aug 31 17:11:21 CEST 2006

Hello.

I've been spending some time today running each of the standard
VML tests through the FIGD OpenSG renderer, and looking at the
output.

The results are in the protected part of the uni-verse.org web
site, login required.

<http://www.uni-verse.org/Renderer_Testing.68.0.html> is the
page.

The screenshots from the page are mirrored by Eskil here:

sphere.vml
	FIGD: http://www.quelsolaar.com/3.png
	Persuade: http://www.quelsolaar.com/2.png

cylinder.vml
	FIGD: http://www.quelsolaar.com/1.png
	Persuade: http://www.quelsolaar.com/4.png

material-test.vml
	FIGD: http://quelsolaar.com/5.png
	Persuade: http://quelsolaar.com/6.png

All tests where done in Windows (obviously), using old R5 versions
of the server, VML loader, and the renderer itself. Persuade screen-
shots are from the most current version, directly from the VML test
page on the <http://verse.blender.org> website.

A couple of questions:

* Is the material support improved, in current code? I found I
   had to simply disable the material link in order to get any-
   thing visible on screen, in most cases.
* Is support for multiple materials implemented? Will it be?
* Is the subdivision working better, now? The sphere (screenshots
   included) is not very spherical.
* Are creases supported? The cylinder really doesn't look like
   they are.

On a more general note, it would be helpful to be able to set the
background color to something brighter than black, since it's often
the case that the scene is there, but not visible due to being all
black on a black background. :)

Keep up the work, looking forward to the next binary release (which
I really hope is built against R6).

Regards,

/Emil