AW: AW: [Uni-verse] Deliverable 6.2

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Aug 30 14:06:52 CEST 2006

Marcus Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi Gert,
>
> When we started the development we used the current version of QT for both
> the server and the renderer. This was V3.34. It was possible to download a
> evaluation version and an educational version of QT for free. Therefore it
> was no problem to compile our code for everyone.
>
> Unfortunately Trolltech has decided with the current Version 4 of QT, that
> can be downloaded now (and only this latest version) from the Trolltech
> website, to be not 100% downwards compatible to the 3.xx versions. The
> version 4 of QT is currenttly available as open source as well as enterprise
> evaluation version for free. Unfortunately there are no longer versions of
> QT 3.xx downloadable at the Trolltech website. This was not predictable.
>
> The current versions of the renderer and the server can currently be
> compiled and run with 3.34. I will port them during september to a QT
> version (4.xx) that is currently available on the Trolltech website. I'm not
> completely sure how much effort this will take because I do not know exactly
> what has changed and what is already running.
>
> As soon as I have done this porting, I will provide you with the new source
> and binaries. For the server I will upload a binary end of this week
> compiled with QT 3.34 and, as said above, later a source and binary version
> for QT4.
> Sorry for that delay.

Thanks for that clarification, that was enlightening. It must be frustrating
to be depdendant on a third party, like that.

One further problem, however:

 From what I've seen in your server code download, it relies on Visual Studio
for building. But, the download page for the currently available open source
version of Qt for Windows, 4.1.4, states:

	"Note: keep in mind that the open source edition of Qt is
	MinGW-only."

So, will you make your server compilable with MinGW? It's not very helpful
if your code requires a build environment not supported by the openly avail-
able Qt version, then it's not possible to build the software without buying
a commercial Qt.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

/Emil