[Uni-verse] Siggraph 2006 plans

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 22 14:23:50 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've had a couple of quite positive and cooperative emails from the
Siggraph chair John Finnegan (who attended a Blender BoF even!).

Even though the Blender Foundation doesn't really qualify for the
"Academic booth discount" offer, John has ensured that we can get a 75%
discount as well, and he has instructed the tradeshow organization to
be fully cooperative on realizing this (for example the requirement was
dropped that you cannot present other companies/products than your
own).

So; apart from a confirmed full-day Sunday BoF in a theatre room (in
Conference building), I'm now trying to get an "Open Source Pavillion"
organized. For the next 3-4 weeks I've got an option to get a 20x30
feet island booth (close to Rhythm'n'hues, Hash), and I'm collecting
sponsors and partners to help us with it.

Current status:

- Gnome (Gimp) & Uni-verse expressed interest to be partners
- Linux Fund seriously considers to sponsor
- RedHat is interested as sponsor (I've also asked them to make for us
a free handout Siggraph DVD with a collection of all open CG
software/docs/demos)
- HP might deliver us the workstations (or another RedHat sponsor)
- Creative Commons is considering to sponsor

My preference is to use material of Elephants Dream as a theme for the
booth. I can arrange large prints etc. I will also try to get the booth
constructed in ED style, with scaffolding, cables/wires and hopefully
some junkyard machine trash.

The booth could have four to six "demo pods", each devoted to a
specific aspect of open source CG creation. Here the individual
partners can get a permanent showcase.
I also like to have at least 1/3rd of the booth reserved for public
demos; a large screen with projection and a continuous show of demos.
When I got the financing arranged, I also like to invite other OS
projects to contribute like Inkscape, Aqsis, Python, Cinepaint (??),
Krita, K3d...

I've defined May 15th to be the go/nogo date... hopefully we have time
next week to decide at what level Uni-Verse (or individual partners)
would like to be involved with it.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org