[Uni-verse] PCC meeting on Monday

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Mon Sep 5 09:59:37 CEST 2005

Hi Gert,

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005, Gert Svensson wrote:
> >2) How do we implement the demonstrations? It means at least:
> >
> >  a) Specifcation for each demo must be done. It might be a good idea
> >that each demo has both an owner and a main implementor. The main
> >implementor could write the first version of the spec, and make the
> >required integration work. The role of the owner would be to
> >participate in the design, accept the specification, and test and
> >verify the result. For example, the architecture demo could be owned
> >by -+, but who will be the main implementor?
> >

> Maybe I misunderstand this, but the architect demo doesn't require any
> programming per se.
> It only uses some of the tools developed by other WP:s

In theory: yes! But I just want that someone makes a careful check
that it is the reality as well. In the architecture scenario there are
listed several items, and I'm not totally convinced that all of them
will be implemented in any WP.

Regards,
	Lauri

> [...]
> >
> >  c) React to the results of 2b) above. At the moment, I see there
> >will be some gaps (e.g. both VR and architecture analysis tell that
> >there is a need for a acoustic material editor which doesn't exist in
> >any plan).
> >
> >I think that the acrhitecture report has several issues highlighting
> >the importance of a disk-based server. If we decide to proceed towards
> >such a final result there definitely is a strong need for such a
> >server. For this reason, I have nothing against it, if people at FHG
> >are willing to put more effort on implementing the server.
> >
> >It seems that I have mostly forgotten the idea behind the evaluation
> >of the Blender Movie :-(. If there is an earlier e-mail or document
> >discussing this, I would appreciate a pointer.
> >

> I think Ton can give the best description of the project.
>
> Best Regards
> Gert
>
> >Still some comments on the acoustic modeling. Please, note that in WP7
> >we work with room acoustic modeling. Working with noise and structural
> >vibrations require quite different methods. Of course, we can build
> >demonstrations showing the potential use of such methods, but they
> >will consists of only fake acoustic models.
> >
> >Regards,
> >	Lauri
> >
> >PS. In the VR report: "audiolization" -> "auralization" :-)
> >
> >On Thu, 01 Sep 2005, Gert Svensson wrote:
> >

> >>Dear Friends,
> >>
> >>I hope you have had a nice and relaxing summer.
> >>
> >>Let me remind of the PCC meeing on Monday 5 September 10.00-12.00 CET DST
> >>via IRC server: irc.freenode.net <http://irc.freenode.net> channel:
> >>#uni-verse
> >>
> >>* Agenda
> >>
> >>Status of the state of the art review
> >>
> >>Status of the segment market analyses
> >>
> >>Version of Verse to use
> >>
> >>Changes in the project plan
> >>
> >>Reminder of the mid term internal review
> >>
> >>Next meetings
> >>

> >>* Proposals
> >>
> >>This is my and Peter Becker's proposals for decision
> >>Please feel free to comment and start the discussion before the meeting
> >>
> >>+ Version of Verse
> >>
> >>The PCC decides what version to use
> >>The version of Verse to use currently  is version 5.
> >>If new versions of Verse is released the PCC will consider which version
> >>to use.
> >>
> >>+ Changes in the project plan
> >>
> >>The Verse - Blender integration is added as an deliverable
> >>
> >>The FHG work is concentrated on making a Verse server with disk based
> >>storage and access control.
> >>Less work is directed towards the radiosity module and the the proxy
> >>reduction server is removed
> >>
> >>Everyone seems to think that we should get rid of the game demonstrator
> >>and concentrate on content creation instead.
> >>One idea would be to replace the game demonstrator with an evaluation of
> >>the Blender Movie project.
> >>However this is still under discussion with Blender.

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 HUT, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014