[Uni-verse] [Fwd: FW: [UNIVERSE] Collada]

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Oct 12 13:13:36 CEST 2005

Hi,

In case you didn't answer it (and Eskil is too busy), here's what I
would write.

---------

Thanks for forwarding this message to us.

Several members of our Consortium are familiar with Collada. The
original creator of this file format, Remi Arnaud, is well known in the
3D industry and has discussed it with Consortium partners Ton
Roosendaal (Blender) and Eskil Steenberg (Verse) already since the
specifications became public in 2003.

Collada is a very well designed format, and a potential candidate to
become a widely supported 3D file exchange format. Collada isn't the
only initiative to achieve this though. Very strong competitors for it
are for example the Web3D Consortium's X3D format, but also Alias's
FBX.
For 3D tools there's not much more choice now than just aiming at
supporting all of them. All major tools in the market come with dozens
of import/export modules for that reason.

We were of course very happy with the announcement that Collada now is
a part of the open standards as maintained by the Khronos Group. It is
relevant that good open standards get created and maintained,
nevertheless it's important to witness that each initiative to create
the ultimate 3D exchange fileformat has failed the past decades.
Specifications for 3D data just don't get easily frozen, especially
with technology and markets evolving a lot.

As a radical new approach to bypass the problematic convention and
severe limitations of fileformats, the Uni-Verse consortium currently
researches and validates the Verse Protocol. One of the benefits of
using the a network based protocal is that 3D data exchange bottlenecks
can be efficiently bypassed, in that way you could compare it to the
benefits of using X3D, Collada or any file format as currently being in
use. However, the very intrinsic intention of using Verse goes much
beyond that purpose. Verse is aimed at connecting 3D tools,
applications and modules into a real-time network, allowing team
collaboration and efficient modular (content and software) development
to extend and integrate functionality of any existing framework.

We strongly believe that this is not only viable approach, but also
very well aligned with future technology market development, especially
in how Operating Systems will deploy applications in the next decade.
The Uni-Verse platform might not be ready for yesterday's desktop
system, but certainly will prove to fit in what's going to be next.

This is a very important aspect of our project schedule, and the
'reason d'etre' of the Consortium itself. We can not afford to treat
our work as if it's part of a regular commercial software product
development cycle - aimed at feasible short term goals that should be
profitable within a short time span - if we want to deliver something
relevant for the European Union's market competitiveness, we have to
make sure that what we do can be picked up by commercial developers
during the entire second half of this decade.
The Universities and Institutes that are part of this Consortium are
excellently suited for that task. Our main competence is to research,
develop and validate innovative solutions, and ensure our results are
relevant for deployment in future commercial products as well.

Best regards,

-Ton-