[Uni-verse] Purple State of the Art report

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Wed Aug 17 14:02:40 CEST 2005

Hi Emil,

I had a quick look, and for me the document looks nice. I have one
proposal related to Introduction. In my opinion you could add a
sentence or two of the aim of Purple. Now you go directly to details
without even mentioning Verse and its relation to Purple.

If we give this document to some imaginary nasty reviewer, he might
find some other issues as well. I mean that by reading your text one
could get a feeling that there are two main reasons for implementing
Purple:

1. You wanted to implement it

2. Verse is too incompatible with any other approach such that the
most easy way was to start from scratch

Both of the reasons are quite poor. I don't know how to soften this
issue, but you could still give a second thought to what is the real
message you want to convey to a reader. Please note: In my opinion
Purple is very good idea and personally I don't have anything against
it.

The comparsion with OpenDX is OK, but the statement of pd is a bit
superficial. Now you give an impression that you didn't want to look
how good it would be. It would help, if you change the wording from
"OpenDX is likely the better fit" to something more convincing.

One typo: "... inf ..." -> "... if ..." in the last paragraph of your
text.

Emil and Eskil, could you please send me some existing presentation
material of Verse. I'll have a talk of Verse and Uni-Verse in Finnish
SIGGRAPH seminar early September, and I think the result would be best
if I could use your slides :-).

Regards,
	Lauri

PS. This is only to the Swedish partners: Did anyone of you attend Finnkampen

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=7ad88792d78f34c2ae9aeca2f97cbb61&threadid=17506%3C/

at Siggraph :-) ?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Emil Brink wrote:

> Hello, folks.
>
> I hope y'all have had a good summer, I sure have.
>
> Please find attached my attempt at writing a State of the Art report
> about Purple. It's pretty short and sweet, and comments are welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Emil

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 HUT, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014