[Uni-verse] minusplus system specs

Lauri Savioja uni-verse@blender.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:21:56 +0200

Dear Akos,
Dear All,

Thank you for the architecture scenario. It looks very good, but there
seems to be need for couple of clarifications related to the audio/acoustics
part. Please find my comments below:

1) Both the physically based and perceptually based modelling are
incorporated in WP7. Both can be applied in presentation, but for
real acoustic design the physical approach is the only suitable one.

2) Unfortunately, we don't aim at making sound libraries. In acoustic
rendering you can apply any audio material available but we are not
going to produce any.

3) In physical modeling our main goal is modeling of concert halls and
similar spaces. The techniques required for modeling outdoor
environments or making noise estimations in apartments are out of
scope since they need very different modeling techniques. The audio
culling helps in this, but I don't know yet how far can we go.

4) It seems that there is some confusion about the terms. I think your
term "audio culling" is quite similar to our "geometry
reduction". Audio culling removes less important sound sources and
geometry reduction modifies the geometry. How do you see this ?

5) Creation of different types of sound sources is a challenging task
that needs further research. We'll start with omni-directional point
sources and in the next phase the model is extended with radiation
patterns for sound sources but whether we can include area sounds is
still unsure.

I'm happy to hear comments from the others as well. Ludde, could you,
especially, tell your opinion on these issues!

Regards,
	Lauri

--
Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory