[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly Report #6 - Further Development for Cycles' Volume Rendering

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:21:05 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 4:42 PM Stefan Werner <stewreo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I recently ‘discovered’ that a VDB file can happily store several
> grids with the same name. Be careful when referring to grid by their name
> instead of their index. The name iterator of OpenVDB will append numbers to
> the names, but if you query a grid’s name directly, those numbers are
> omitted!

If I remember correctly this can happen when writing clustered grids from
Houdini?
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/pyro/clustering.html

The correct way to interpret those would be to merge grids with the same
name, or at least render them as if they were merged. I wouldn't expect us
to support this immediately though, it's a bit of an advanced case which
can be worked around by the user. There's also things like perspective
grids for camera adaptive resolution, but we should also ignore that for
now.