[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #1: NURBS Modernization

Jonathan deWerd jjoonathan at gmail.com
Sun May 25 17:18:06 CEST 2014

Hello, everyone! I have to apologize for pushing the deadline a bit. I spent the last half of the week traveling from visiting family and moving into my summer apartment, but I was so close to finishing what I wanted to for Week #1 that I thought surely a one-day bump would allow it to happen. Alas, this was not to be. I can't push the deadline forever so here's my progress report.

This week's progress:
- Got opennurbs code building within blender
- Almost (80%? I'm in the bugfixing phase, it's hard to tell) got basic (no trimming) 3dm IO working.
- Made a high-level diagram of the nurbana code. It's 1/2 way to a documentation diagram of my code because the structure is similar.

Things that were done this week that weren't progress:
- Spent a bunch of time trying to compile the nurbana branch. It has badly bitrotted in the past few years. Compiling it was like playing bug whack-a-mole. I won't be spending more time on this. I'll just have to make due with reading the code rather than running it.

What I want to have done by this Friday:
- Finish basic (no trimming) 3dm IO
- Diagram Nurbana trimming support (to analyze feasibility of a direct port)
- Get in touch again with the 2 artist stakeholders that have contacted me already, get actual .3dm files from the second one
- Midterm proposal (including idea for a demo video or picture)

Problems:
- Moving between apartments takes time. Fix: ignore, since it won't be happening again until mid August.
- The mac build broke because OpenMP wasn't passing the -liomp5 flag to the linker. It was trivial to fix the build on my computer, but fixing the build for everyone might not be trivial. The IRC consensus was to leave that to jensverwiebe. Works for me :)

Cheers,
Jon