[Soc-2010-dev] Weekly Status Report - 18 June

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 07:24:08 CEST 2010

== This week ==
I've made significant progress, finishing and committing a prototype-level
implementation of Bullet interacting in Blender. This included upgrading
Bullet to 2.76 in my branch (including an accidental commit in trunk as part
of an elaborate tango with SVN again). It was finished a bit later than I
hoped, but still within my estimated timeframe.

Made a few demo videos of what is currently possible:
http://vimeo.com/12634717, http://vimeo.com/12634604,
http://vimeo.com/12634991  (as seen on my blog after the commit).
which were carefully prepared to not run show some of the shortcomings in
the incomplete implementation ;)

There are many rough corners in this implementation that make it unstable
for serious user testing, though the curious are always welcome to have a
quick tinker (taking heed of all warnings I've posted). The process revealed
a few things I'm going to have to deal with first before anything more fancy
can be addressed to bring this implementation to the next level. Of
particular importance is setting up a better C-API for Bullet than the one
currently provided as part of the Bullet SDK, since there are many
capabilities which cannot be accessed yet, but which are needed...

== Next Week ==
Exam, exams, exams.

It's a bit frustrating to have these so late for this semester this year,
especially with a few major tweaks I'm itching to make. Anyways, due to
this, I'm not currently planning to get anything done next week, barring a
few 5 minute hacks on Wednesday if time allows.