[Soc-2010-dev] Status Report

Konrad Wilhelm Kleine konrad at konradwilhelm.de
Sat Jul 10 18:18:13 CEST 2010

Hi all,

with a feature in mind I and several ideas on how to implement it, last
week was primarily dominated by finding out which is the best way to. I
finally could implement the "Auto select image" feature that Matt
proposed as a paint tool improvement.

A more detailed but slightly outdated feature description is here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kwk/Gsoc2010/AutoSelectPaintImage

And a video with a quick demonstration is here:
http://vimeo.com/13215410

I certainly feel more comfortable with the code now and hopefully my
next deliverables will be a bit more sophisticated. Regarding my
proposal and midterm evaluation I made some progress with the
unification of paint tools. Particle mode and 2D texture paint mode
already use the new stroke system. Both have some nasty offset when
painting and texture painting only works when the space is maximized
(SHIFT+SPACE). I will try to fix these bugs when there is time and
meanwhile focus on my other deliverables. I've implemented two paint
tool improvements already: (1) a quick way to add diffuse/bump/spec maps
and (2) the "auto select image" feature for quickly updating the visible
texture in the UV/Image Editor.

I need to talk to Bob so we can decide what has a higher priority:
Layers & Masks for textures or OpenImageIO (OIIO) integration. Though I
think the first one is more important, the later being done at first can
save time. Correct me, if I'm wrong but Layers & Masks cannot be done
like in the sculpt branch because I need pixel based masks while
Nicholas on the other hand uses per vertex masked (CustomData). That
means I need to think about a solution here and cannot port all the code
from the sculpt branch, as much as I would appreciate that. Anyway I'm
very exited to work on layers and masks because it is tough, fun!

At this point I would like to thank everybody for helping and explaining
things on the IRC and the mailing list!

-Konrad