[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 23:38:37 CEST 2009

===Week 2 report===

==this week==
*tried to find why the new code was giving nice results:
http://www.zanqdo.com/tmp/Jaguarandi.png
http://www.zanqdo.com/tmp/Trunk.png
but couldn't find why... its quite hard to trace/debug rays

*mirror rays work now
*work on both (bvh and octree)
(after a few bugs.. they were rendering nice, thanks ZanQdo for the fish
scene)
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/fish3.png
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/shit3.png

*instance code done
it encapsulates a rayobject and perfoms space-transformation to convert
between local and global coordinates.

==next week==
*plugin instance rayobjects with dupli(verts/faces)

I was thinking that instance support could be done at Mesh level (alt+d),
altought since each mesh instance can be different because of modifiers, it
seems that it will only be supported at dupliverts. (i hope this doesn't has
negative effects)

* try hierarchic raytrees (needed for instances).. (i guess some code still
needs to be fixed for this to work nicely)
I will probably create a bvh of objects and where each node is an
octree/instance.

* test other types of rays.. that means ao, and transparent/soft shadows
(currently they are disabled)

==schedule==
Still quite busy with school... its taking more time than I expected
But I am still on schedule

This initial part of adapting ray structure is taking more time than
expected, mostly because of large amounts of time wasted on finding bugs.
* I am still gaining experiencing on how to trace render bugs
* I hope to catch most bugs on this initial part before moving since for now
the code still "looks like" the original code and so its useful to debug by
comparison.