[Robotics] Collada importer and exporter.

Stefaan michielsen stefaan.michielsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:52:22 CEST 2009

Note: I've tried to send this with attachements, but that made it too large,
for now it is just with the .dae

Hi,

I've been examining the Collada importer/exporter and there are some things
you should know about it.

==Building Instruction==
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kazanbas/Building_OpenCollada
svn checkout
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/soc-2009-chingachgook/

==Remarks==
There hasn't been an attempt yet to implement the kinematics section of the
Collada standard.
Armature ARE supported, although you should take special care.
How NOT to do it: (see armature-dae.blend) Parent Meshes to bones.
How to DO it: (see armature-dae_modified.blend) Create Vertex groups, and
add armature as modifier
However, the final bimp is not ok.
Upon importing you will see that the last bone is't there. This doesn't seem
to have an easy solution.

Next if you go in wireframe mode, the imported meshes dissappear. You can
avoid this by selecting mesh and entering edit mode. After this object won't
dissapear.
(Note of chingiz: It's easy to fix if I find a Blender's call which does
this stuff. I used one before but it caused bugs, so I turned it off.)

There is no support for metadata about object, sensors, ... As well you
can't export any of the logic functions/Game engine stuff.

Also you can't export just a selection of a scene. You will first have to
delete everything not needed in the export.

If you have other questions chingiz.ds at gmail.com is really helpful, and
appreciates the testing.

Greets

Stefaan Michielsen