[Bf-viewport] OpenGL refactoring tasks

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Dec 11 21:37:10 CET 2015

Hi all,

For developers who want to get involved in OpenGL refactoring, there
are a couple of pretty well defined tasks to be done, listed here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/OpenGL/Shaders#Tasks

* Add stipple support to basic GLSL shader
* Port smoke shader to GLSL
* Implement texture paint multitexture masking shader in GLSL
* Optimize basic GLSL shader
* Add test .blend covering most GLSL material features
* Add LOD bias in GLSL basic shader for icon drawing
* Add glShadeModel(GL_FLAT) support in GLSL shaders (using dFdx / dFdy?)

I can help you get started and review patches if you want to work on
one of them.

The implementation of the shader API design proposal I'll try do
myself in the next couple of weeks, though I'm happy to leave it to
someone else if there are volunteers. Once that's done there will be
another set of tasks to replace fixed function shaders throughout the
Blender code.

Mike, as I understand it you will work something out for the immediate
mode replacement and the matrix stack designs, and we'll wait a bit
for that to be ready for others to get involved in?

Thanks,
Brecht.