[Bf-usd] Support for Preliminary_Text

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.org
Mon Apr 25 11:47:02 CEST 2022

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 18:45, John Harrison via Bf-usd <bf-usd at blender.org>
wrote:

> Implementing an importer as part of the same effort makes sense to me
> (more work of course) because it balances the feature set and will help
> with testing (import->export & compare). [...] Regarding font point size, I
> would use Reality Composer as “ground truth” and see how it maps font point
> sizes to designer units (meters usually), then document my findings and
> follow suite.

Public specifications are always better. If there is no other way, we can
try and follow what some proprietary application is doing, but that opens
the door to all kinds of nasty issues. The most important aspect is that
triagers and Blender developers won't be able to reproduce bug reports.
Being able to go through an export-import cycle and see that the result is
the same is a good start, but that's not enough to ensure the
implementation is correct.

We have been in this situation with Alembic, where different applications
had different interpretations of certain data, and Blender was stuck in the
middle. I don't want to repeat this process with USD. Especially when
implementing support for a 3rd party extension, I feel that we have to be
careful and have a thorough understanding of that extension before writing
any code.

Sybren