[Bf-usd] Support for Preliminary_Text

John Harrison johnnhe4 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 19:26:01 CEST 2022

Great questions Charles, here are my thoughts in the same order as your questions (learning as I go here):

- Apple specifies a default point size of 144 in their docs (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/usdz_schemas_for_ar/preliminary_text/pointsize <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/usdz_schemas_for_ar/preliminary_text/pointsize>). My guess is Apple assumes the traditional 1/72” point unit, which multiplies nicely to 144 and would result in Apple choosing a default size of 2”. Now Blender has no such notion of point size for fonts, leading to your question about how blender would specify this. One suggestion is to have Blender convert on export, such that it measures the height in designer units, converts to inches, then divides by 72.
- Resolution-independent would be great, but not sure how that would work. I think this is a separate issue from exporting though, seems like a rendering engine effort?
- I suppose the designer would leave that up to the rendering engine as well, but maybe you are considering use-cases I am not thinking of?
- Right. It seems like this isn’t called out at all in the Apple docs. Maybe they expect a separate `def` for heterogenous characters?
- No idea. The docs refer to USD’s notion of a “stage unit”, but honestly having wdith/height makes no sense to me - seems like the runtime should figure this out. The doc also states, "The runtime ignores this value if `wrapMode` is singleLine.” I would (without understanding more) not export width/height at all and see what issues it causes

- John