[Bf-taskforce25] Saving keymaps

Michel.Anders at inter.nl.net Michel.Anders at inter.nl.net
Thu Sep 17 21:44:48 CEST 2009

Op Do, september 17, 2009 21:17 schreef Brecht Van Lommel:

[...]
> Does anybody have ideas about how to do better, or about other apps
> handling this in a good/bad way? It's kind of a general issue, suppose you
> wanted to modify a menu, does that completely override the existing one
> then, or do we try to be clever about syncing, accepting it sometimes
> gives results you don't want?

Why not versioning/naming keymaps? So in your user preferences you could
point to a named keymap which would be loaded on startup, unless it didn't
exist, in which case default.kmap would be loaded. Having loadable keymaps
would very flexible and changing a keymap could even be programmed as a
hotkey itself which would open up the possibility to 'bank shift' a
complete (sub)set of keys, e.g. to have a seperate subset defined for the
function keys in editmode and in weightpaintmode.

The default.kmap would be carefully maintained as backward compatible
between releases. Anything complicated would be hard to maintain,
especially as many people might contribute keymaps.

About other apps: many apps seem to follow the approach where there are
justg two maps: a (possibly nuilt-in) system map, that might get
overridden by a user map. Any changes made to the keymap are saved in the
user map only. I know of no apps that allow menu hotkeys to change (most
allow to define a hotkey that performs the same action as a menu, but the
little reminders inside the menu item are not changed.

just my 2c :-)

-- michel.