[Bf-taskforce25] OpenGL, swap-copy vs swap-exchange

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 11 20:17:30 CET 2009

Hi all,

Tests with my commit to support swap-exchange 'swapbuffers' showed it
works fine for some intel and ati error reports.

Information I can google on this topic is very sparse and confusing. It
seems that the information Daniel Dunbar gathered like 6 years ago is
still valid:

http://zuster.org/blender/drawingArchitecture.html

Although the 2.5 architecture is ready to get close to the proposal he
did, his conclusions seem to be still valid;

- there's no reliable way to retrieve from the system what swapbuffers
method is working
- there's no reliable way to enforce the system to do a swap-copy.

This is worth some further research, supporting both methods will be in
the way for more advanced UI drawing (our own UI compositor for
multilayered drawing!).

-Ton-