[Bf-taskforce25] View 2D API - Proposal

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Nov 27 14:36:51 CET 2008

Hi,

I reviewed it in irc with Joshua. Doc looks good, had many open issues
but I think Joshua can solve most now. :) He'll update doc soon.

Some noteworthy conclusions:

- sliders belong to view2d, don't get own region. Need nice design
proposal for drawing and optional extra handles (zoom).
- view2d storage goes to region level.
- channel lists, but also button lists/windows, require own region +
view2d.
- area-manager can handle internal view2d alignment (via
notifiers/listeners), so you can keep a channel list aligned with other
2d views.
- regions can add listeners to screen for inter-area alignment with
specific properties (like visible time frame).
- view2d gets own keymap, with standard (UI-wide) keymap, to unify
hotkey/mouse/device usage. Could look at optional overrides or config
hints for it though.
- panels - if its height is limited, or internal display unlimited -
can get view2d too

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands