[Bf-python] Remote IPython & PyCrust Shell for Blender

Willian Padovani Germano wpgermano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:31:58 CET 2008

Hi Stani,

Stani wrote:
(...)
> I am working on some new features for SPE, which is an open-source,
> cross-platform python IDE for Blender:
> http://pythonide.stani.be
(...)
> However for normal Blender modeling (not Game Engine) I was wondering
> which scriptlink I could use without blocking the user interface of
> Blender. Is there some sort of timer event/scriptlink? Or is there a
> better way to do this?

Right now afaik there's no out of the box solution. No timer event
scriptlink yet, neither one for communication between processes, Verse
is not finished, etc. It shouldn't be hard to add a scriptlink for this
(for one system, making it work for all platforms might take more help),
only depends on finding a dev with interest and time to code it.

Also, maybe threading can help. This occurred to me when I started
making bpython "thread-safe" a few weeks ago: we could add a new
function or make Blender.Run() support running the script in a separate
thread and this script could for example keep checking if an external
app has sent data to Blender. Didn't test it yet, though, will try to
play with it this week.

--
Willian