[Bf-python] API overhaul - irc meeting?

Michael Reimpell M.Reimpell at tu-bs.de
Sun Jan 8 18:39:55 CET 2006

> This is good. However, we are also constantly breaking things. It gives the
impression that the API is never finished so y bother writing scripts.

Backward compatibility is a desirable goal and hopefully the number of
iterations needed for a good API that can be frozen can significantly be
reduced due to "use case" driven design. But premature api fixing is contra
productive, as you will have to brake it later in the process, when you
realize that things went that wrong, that you have to do an API overhaul. In
fact, breaking things late in the process gives you the impression of an ever
changing api.

> If python malloc's something blender should handle the clean up.

BPy should create and delete objects the same way Blender's C-code does.

> Pointers can become disconnected internally but python still has a wrapped
pointer to the subobject , which happens to be no-longer linked to it's
parent, etc. etc.

BPy is another user of the data and should increase and decrease the user
count accordingly.

Cheers,
Michael