[Bf-python] API overhaul - irc meeting?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Fri Jan 6 16:11:14 CET 2006

Hi Joe,

Gilbert, Joseph T. wrote:
> ==documentation==
> I've tried A LOT of source code generation stuff to see if I could get
> it to run with out C source file and couldn't do it. Most source
> documenters are written for C source file and document for programmers.
> I was hoping doxygen would work but it was a bit too complex for me lol.
>
> If we can't get a system working maybe we need to write something
> ourself. Personally I'd like to see the stupid .py doc file go. It would
> be so much easier for me to document the source code.
> If nothing works then epydoc does a good job.

Epydoc is a very good tool (btw, we shouldn't need separate .py files
for it if run inside Blender). But having doc strings in C files is not
nice, we need '\' to break lines, '\n\' at the end of each real line,
that's cumbersome to read/write imo, specially for larger parts.
Separate files for docs also help keeping the source code files smaller.

> ==create docs before coding==
> (...) Is this really worth the effort?

Bad wording: (quoting myself)
6) The start: define API before coding it, create (epy)docs and tests, etc.

Didn't want to write that we really need them before coding. But
updating our epydoc ones will save a lot of work, so can even be done
right after determining the API changes.

--
Willian