[Bf-python] API overhaul - irc meeting?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Fri Jan 6 15:01:10 CET 2006

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Letwory wrote:
> Instead of creating yet another dir, rather do a branch, which will be
> merged back when the cleaning is done.

That's a possibility. But there's a chance we'll change the dir
structure and follow other Blender dirs (python/ for public headers,
python/intern for our code, maybe with subdirs for modules and types),
in which case a new dir will be needed anyway.

>>6) The start: define API before coding it, create (epy)docs and tests,
>>etc.
>
> Yes. Also, write scripts to see how you would like the api, before it
> actually exists. Also, ask scripters how they'd write different techniques
> etc. compare and then decide.

For the basic BPython API in C, we'd better stay close to Blender code,
that's a general wise advice for embedding.

Phase 1: clean the current API of inconsistencies (like degrees vs.
radians, string params where consts would fit better, etc), remove
unneeded stuff (.get/set methods, in favor of attributes) and make the
API a little more pythonic, not exposing bitmasks, for example, etc. So
things here shouldn't change that much, but of course interested people
will be able to comment and suggest.

Phase 2: on top of the basic API, coders can write higher level ones in
Python directly and we can bundle at least one such project in Blender.

--
Willian