[Bf-python] Latest update on Mesh module

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Tue Oct 18 04:05:57 CEST 2005

Campbell Barton wrote:
> An equivilent to NMesh.getRawFromObject is needed for exporters (maybe
> there could be added a function like Alt+C, then you get the resulting
> mesh)

Quick update; spent this afternoon working on mesh.getFromObject(), and
  coded two implementations for Text/Curves.  The first one borrowed
code from NMesh, heavily hacked, but I discoveded that in the end the
converted object had duplicate vertices; one for each filled area and
one for each outlined area.  Also discovered that using NMesh to build a
new mesh from getRawFromObject results in segfaults; perhaps because
faces now must have edges?

Daniel reminded me about Alt-C (which I should have remembered from the
comment above) to double-check the correctness of my converted text, and
so started looking at its implementation of Text->Curve->Mesh.  I
recoded using these routines to make a temporary Blender object, put a
copy of the text/curve in it, then use nurbs_to_mesh() for the
conversion.  results in no duplicate edges, and lets me reuse existing
code instead having to convert from the displaylist to a mesh myself.
I'll continue looking at the other types (metaballs, meshs, surfs).

Ken