[Bf-python] OT: good general Python books?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Mar 24 05:20:53 CET 2005

Ken Hughes wrote:

> Tom M wrote:
>
>>> Slightly off-topic, but if I'm writing code here thought it
>>> would be useful to know:  what is a good reference for
>>> Python C API?
>>
>> Do you want something like "Extending and Embedding the Python
>> Intepreter"?
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/ext/ext.html
>
> Was thinking more along the lines of descriptions for things like
> PyTuple_Check().... then realized what I'm really missing is
> something line Unix manpages for the functions.  Something similar
> to the old OReilly books like XLib Reference Manuals.

Hi Ken,

"Extending and Embedding ..." (1) as Tom indicated and Python/C API (2),
both from the documentation bundled with Python are very good:
http://docs.python.org/index.html

You can take a first look at (1) to get a general idea and keep (2) open
while you work (index page, letter P) to get specific information about
any API function you need, plus reference counting and more.  Pay
special attention to what a function returns: borrowed or new references.

These docs and once in a while reading Python sources themselves or
searching on google are the basic references I've used since I started
with bpython.  Of course, the Tutorial, Library Reference and Global
Module Index are other great sources of info (for Python programming)
available with Python itself.  In general I like py docs (and those
"what's new" pep's you can check for each new version at the main site)
a lot.

--
Willian