[Bf-python] After 2.28

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Mon Jul 21 03:09:59 CEST 2003

Hi,

Blender 2.28 should be released in a week, if all goes well (and if I
understood what was decided today!).

That'll make us reach the first milestone: substitute the old
implementation with a brand new one, written in C and much easier to
read (and readability will probably improve, once we get time to
rearrange a few things).

So, first of all, I'd like to congratulate Michel and LarstiQ.  As most
of us -- maybe all -- here know, Python has had "issues" in Blender for
years.  In the middle of at least three different and incomplete api's,
C and Python code, missing parts (like the GUI module), makefiles, etc.,
it surely wasn't easy even to get to know what was going on.

When I jumped in, Michel had already paved the way, which made it much
easier for me -- and a little later for Jacques and Jordi (thank you
two, too : ) ) -- to contribute to the project.  He's also done a lot to
integrate us in the Blender team.

We (speaking for the team) also want to thank all of you on this list
for supporting exppython by keeping us cross-platform, updating your
scripts, giving suggestions, testing, etc.

Now that the new code is "in", we have time to start discussing the next
goals.  The first and most wanted, of course, is better integration in
Blender.  That is also related to the handling of the global python
dictionary and to security (the sandbox mode).  I'll send three emails,
one about each of these topics during this week.  Please all feel free
to jump in and discuss.

These topics will also have to be discussed in the main bf-committers
list, since they are not internal to exppython and affect Blender in
general.  But it's better to mature a little the discussion here, first.

Cheers!

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br