[Bf-funboard] 6. Quad lines equalizing and isles autorotation in UV

Maxim Tkachenko malefic.max at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:18:36 CEST 2016

Hi all!

I work in gamedev and it is very important to place some long lines of
quads horizontal or vertical on UV map, so that edges will be much clearer
on normalmap (diagonal edges are not good). So it will be a great time
saver, if there will be a tool to align all the island by selecting one
edge. My english can be confusing, so let me show:
Here is some element, that has to be unwrapped in line:
http://s31.postimg.org/564q4zd7f/linkedinchat.jpg
Of course we will use Follow Active Quad. But first we need to straighten
some of quads.
The fastest workflow can be if I select some of quads, press
MagicalHotkey(c), then blender automatically rotates that quad (with all
the island!) to align horizontal (or vertical - depends on edge's
angles)...
//now it is done manually//
http://s31.postimg.org/6zc871nrv/linkedinchat.jpg
...then makes selected quad rectangle (trying to save length of edges) ...
//now I press W - A on every edge//
http://s31.postimg.org/73b3kezkr/linkedinchat.jpg
...and then automatically applies Follow Active Quad
//now it needs some time to find it and press. Press twice, because of
pop-up window (I do not know why options can not be in T panel).
http://s31.postimg.org/lns6f8ujf/linkedinchat.jpg

We need this tool! )
And we need simple tool, that makes selected edge horizontal and rotates
all the island with it.

--
Sincerely,
Maxim