[Bf-funboard] New compositing and VSE monitor tools

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 04:07:47 CET 2016

There are several problems with this at the moment:
  1) The VSE should use a reference space that is linearized. Ideally it is
scene referred, linear. Currently it is display referred nonlinear. Every
operation regarding compositing therefore is fundamentally broken.
Regarding grading, this impacts alpha bound plates etc.
  2) The VSE in terms of "ranges" should be, given it works with Cycles,
utilizing the same reference space that leverages the full scene referred
values. I'm relatively sure right now it has some cripples on the display
referred ranges, making the concept of grading a nightmare.
  3) Given (2) above, Blender as a whole needs to have colourspace
selectable UI controls. That is, if the reference is scene referred linear
for example, the curves tool needs to be able to have whatever imager
driven transform applied, per node. This would make it viable to grade with
curves on a Cycles render, as an example. As it is now, if middle grey is
mapped at 0.18 (which isn't always necessarily the case), about 18% of the
curve region covers the entire perceptual range from display referred black
to display referred middle grey. Similar issue with dealing with above
middle grey roll-off.

As a viable path forward, migrating the VSE to a "strip view", as well as
adding a "grading node" toggle to go with the three existing modes, would
probably work toward remedying this situation.

With respect,
TJS