[Bf-funboard] Gearshift Menus (formerly: Converting toggle buttons to pie menus)

Jude Jackson syzygy6 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:54:55 CEST 2014

Thanks for your response! I feel like we're not quite on the same page on a
few of these points, so I'll try and clarify my thoughts:

1. With a gearshift menu, you are not so much entering an absolute
direction, but a sequence of directions; therefor, Up-Right is distinct
from Right-Up. That, in theory, gives you more options for less input
fidelity

2. If a gearshift/daisy wheel menu were opened by holding the key and
releasing to select, then the button in the neutral/center position could
effectively be selected by tapping the key. I'm sure there are good
arguments for tap-to-open tap-to-select, but hold-to-open would allow pie
menus to retain their *current* functionality

3. I don't think tactile feedback is super important with sufficiently low
fidelity of input. In a daisy wheel, maybe I'm wrong, but I expect a user
would need to rely (at least a little, especially after working long
hours) on visual input to accurately select between N and NE, where I think
muscle memory would be sufficient to choose between Up and Up-Right. A
car's gearshift requires some lateral precision, but a gearshift menu could
be designed to avoid that.

Hope that made my points clear! I don't know what's best, but I'm looking
forward to seeing development!