[Bf-funboard] UI talk + session at bconf

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Sep 24 22:30:34 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Harley Acheson
<harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wrote this wiki page because I see a lot of UI discussion and
>> mockups, but they often generate more questions than answers for me.
>
> And I love the document. A great read. But it is a static read-only
> document so it doesn't seem to lend itself to furthering discussion.
> I mean it poses a lot of good questions, but it is not explained how
> you want those questions answered.

The same way people are posting design proposals now, it's just
another viewpoint to take into account. I'd like it if this could all
somehow be moderated and feed into an ongoing UI project, but right
now that doesn't exist.

Doing a UI session at bconf is a step but more needs to be done of
course, I don't know when or how that will happen at the moment.

> Here is the last iteration I that I personally liked based on William's
> last mockups.
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=59782
>
> Some of the things I liked about it, not merely "the look"
> - headers always on top.
> - treating the info editor as a distinct container for the app
> - better visual distinction between different editors
> - thin scroll bars
> - single column properties editor
> - vertical tabs for properties editor
> - 3D view Interaction Mode menu to left of text menu
> - treatment of Editor type menu
> - all corners act act as window split areas

There's many good ideas in there, but also much of the current UI
missing. That could be intentional, and things are intended to be
moved somewhere else, but it's not possible to tell from the mockup.
Maybe I'm asking too much but to me it's a big difference;

Brecht.