[Bf-funboard] Proposition for Blender 2.7/2.8: Text Engine

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 27 14:27:17 CEST 2013

Hi,

Yes, full rtl UI may also be a goal, of course, but imho it’s far less
priority that a good complex script text handling (simply because
wrongly placed/ordered letters make a text very hard to read, while
"strange" order of controls and such one can adapt to). Further more,
mirroring Blender UI would be a much bigger task (we would need first to
get rid of many hacks/tweaks/flaws our UI code currently has, and then
most probably make in-depth changes all over the code) – even though
some limited support (like mirroring widgets themselves) may be quite
easy to achieve.

As for the “animation of the text body”, if I understand correctly (i.e.
animating the content of a text 3D object over time), it is already
possible through drivers... Anyway, this is not really related to text
engine topic, which should only handle text layout and drawing, as well
as featuring to editing tools info about graphemes...

And I must insist that this proposition mostly concerns UI. The fact
that it may be useful to 3D text objects, and possibly other stuff too
(through e.g. a py api) is only a “side effect”. ;)

Cheers,
Bastien