[Bf-funboard] Toolbar mockups

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruth at ivimey.org
Fri Jul 19 17:47:57 CEST 2013

Hi Vincent
> * reduce scrolling as much as possible
> * add support for setting the default parameters for operators
> * add text to show equivalent shortcuts
I like some of the changes. I echo some of the concerns re horizontal
space and I would like a "2 column mode" for the panel, selectable in
the Preferences, if when you reduced the toolbar width the two columns
both get narrower together, so you might end up with panel text going from:

     - Translate   - Rotate
to:
      - Tr  - Ro

and not:
     - Translat

I definitely want the shortcut keys added to all buttons...
(programmatically is best so it's never wrong) :  it makes it so much
easier to learn the shortcuts.

I typically use a 16:10 display, but with 16:9 displays common I often
think it makes more sense to use horizontal space than vertical; in fact
I now have my Windows "Start Bar" on the Right hand side rather than the
bottom for that reason.

I would love a way to, say, right-click (or perhaps right-alt-click) on
a button to bring up a shortcut editor, which would be a simple keyboard
map (i.e. QWERTY etc) showing which shortcuts are used and free, so
having right-clicked you can then just click on a free button and hey
presto! Much easier than the current preferences method.

I don't like "only one panel open at a time", at least I don't think so.

I think I like the "initial dot" thing but would have to play with it to
know.

History panel == good, but can you make the "History" a visible list -
even if short - of the most recent, so you can just click to go back.
How Photoshop works in that department is good IMO.

IMO the buttons for Recalculate and Flip UV should be slightly
distinguished from Smooth and Shade. I know they're both UV things but...

I was wondering if "slightly distinguished" might mean something like
this. If the existing panel grouping is:

\______

/------

and within that the groups are:

|_____
|--------

is there room for:
\______
/------

In general I would like to reduce the amount of popup and otherwise
hidden stuff, not increase it, so I am not at all in favour of
(mandatory) toolbar panel popup as in mockup 2. Popups make it harder to
use the program, not easier. Fold-up panels are my preference, as you
can open/close at will and the tools you want can therefore be available
when you want them.

Well done for having a go at the paint options, but I'm not sure you've
got there yet. I think it's better than what we have now, but not
necessarily better enough.

Regards
Ruth

P.S. " three full stops" == "ellipsis" and in this context "full stop"
== "period" (semantic difference; a full stop is what appears at the end
of a sentence).

--
Software Manager&   Engineer
Tel: 01223 414180