[Bf-funboard] 4-column layout for editor-type menu

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 17:10:25 CEST 2013

I like this multi-column idea for a couple of reasons.

The first is that I must have some kind of mental block with the current
list.  It not only lacks a clear organization but then swaps order whether
it pops up or down. I have to stare at it every time as if I am a child
just learning how to read.

But this change could also mean that we could *consider* adding a new
editor type to the list. I would love to see "Command History" ripped out
of the Info window and given its own editor. The command history, where it
is now, has got to be our biggest least-discoverable feature. There isn't a
menu item to bring it up. I doubt there is a keyboard shortcut. Most people
discover it by accidentally dragging the info header. We took Properties
out of there because it was so hidden, but then filled up the space with
something else.

Moving "Command History" out of Info would mean that we could remove the
ability to drag the info window larger, which is currently a common
accident. Since that window could never be larger than its header then we
could remove its "flip to top/bottom" and (maybe) the ability to split that
window.

Having a separate "Command History" editor means that it would be finally
discoverable. It could have its own header, menu, and buttons. Saving the
history? Repeating a highlighted section? Creating macros?

Cheers, Harley