[Bf-funboard] A needed node.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 02:10:35 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is a collection of other peoples efforts to overcome the random
>> problem.
>> http://blendersushi.blogspot.de/2012/12/cycles-object-info-node.html
>

> In that blog post, he got very nice looking results because his method only
> picks from 30 specific random colors which he hand-picked. This reminds me
> of particle-emitter "pick random". I tried to manually set this up with a
> Constant ColorRamp and it was a bit clunky. Seems like there could be a
> "Selection" color ramp which would automatically keep the "range" of each
> color even (by default?).
>
> Is this "pick random" what you are looking for? Or do you want a different
> solution related to better ways to select "truly random" colors?

What I would like to see is a node that generates a simple random
number, math node or so.  I could then take this number and feed it
into a combine RGB node to make a random color Or into a Ramp Node or
whatever. Of course it could have many other uses. The problem now
with things like Object_Info Node Random is that if you feed it into
the RG and B inputs you of course get different grays. You can't get
different colors because all the "Random" numbers are the same. This
is one reason I suggested seeds and also a time input to the seed to
have the choice of random seed input or not. A script node is not good
enough do to speed and CPU only rendering, more the CPU though but
that is a speed issue too.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!