[Bf-funboard] Losing painted textures.

Bol Bib bollebib at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:34:14 CEST 2012

That must suck...

At least a warning would be appropriate.

I do find that in Blender it is quite unclear when something will be deleted or not.
I sometimes wish to delete  a certain material from the whole scene and I can't because in some ways it's still being used.

And the other side of the spectrum is what you experienced...

1)Maybe indeed a message should popup warning you if you are about to lose something.
ideally you could make fake users for all of them at the time of closing, or only a selection,if you can get a list , where you check and uncheck each one.

2)Or maybe assign default fake users to all newly created material/actions.

But this could get cluttered with the fakes you actually manually assign..

Or another way : create a "FAKE fake user" (double fake),some sort of special subclass,that is automatic
-> with this double fake, you tell the program that it's something automaticly created,and NEEDS further input.

If this has not been done, on exit you get a warning. At that time you can choose to reject them,or make true fake users out of them...

Also provide ,in the outliner perhaps,a good way to manage those fake(or double fake) users. Maybe in conjunction with the first proposal.

I do not know if this would be feasible however..

I'm just rambling here,maybe the devs find some use in it.
I hope we can agree,at least something could be done.

kind regards